There are mounds of events this weekend! Here are our picks for family fun! If you are looking for a reason to get out this evening---don't forget the light displays!
Wednesday, December 3
- November 21-January 3 Illumination at the Morton Arboretum. See our previous Illumination post for details and prices
- November 27-12/31 South Barrington Lights, 5:00PM-10:00PM, free, amazing display at a home complete with music, check website for details
- November 28-January 3 Wonderland Express at Chicago Botanic Gardens, read previous post
- November 28-January Lights at North School Park, Arlington Heights, a collection of light displays, magnificent for younger children, free!
- November 28-12/31 Lights on Magnolia, Rolling Meadows, synchronized light show, check FB for times, also accepting nonperishable food donations
- November 28-December 28 Festival of Lights at Phillip's Park Zoo, Aurora, free
- November 29-12/31 Christmas on Tiffany, Schaumburg, 3 different synchronized light shows, check schedule, free
Thursday, December 4
- November 27-January 1 Naper Lights, Naper Settlement, Thursdays-Sundays, 5PM-9PM, free!
- December 4-7 Chriskindl Holiday Fest, Barrington, handcrafted merchandise, live entertainment, live reindeer, kids activities, carnival rides and more, there is a cover charge for some of the bands and for the carnival rides, see website for more details
- December 4-7 Holiday Store, The Grove, Glenview, purchase items handcrafted by local artists, free!
- December 6 Compose Yourself, Music Institute of Chicago's Nichol Concert Hall, Instrument Petting Zoo, Children's Performance, see how music is composed, $5 pp ($6.17 w/ service fee), buy tickets online, 9AM-11AM
- December 6 Barrington Aglow, Holiday Festivities throughout Barrington before the tree lighting in the evening, 10AM-6:30PM, trolley, carriage rides, storytime, Santa and Mrs. Claus, cookie decorating, a "snowy" experience and free ornament at Norton's U.S.A. and much more--for free!! Check schedule.
- December 6 Kids Yoga Class, Viva-Ki Yoga, Arlington Heights, 11:30AM-12:30PM, $10 per child, packages available (check schedule before leaving in case of cancellation)
- December 6-7 Christmas in the Valley, Schaumburg, 12:00PM-4:00PM, old-time family holiday fun **one of our favorite events of the year**, held on Heritage Farm and Merkle Cabin, $3 pp, $12 for families of 4-6, $3 every additional person, 3 and under free
- December 6 Mount Prospect Historical Society Christmas with Friedrichs, Friedrichs House, 1:30PM-4:00PM tour a family home and experience Christmas celebrated in the 1920's, Santa Claus and Mrs. Claus visit, cookies & hot cocoa, learn how to make German Christmas decorations, free
- December 6&7, 13&14 Holiday Mansion Tours, Naper Settlement, Naperville, 1:00PM-4:00PM, home decorated for the holidays during WWI, (on Dec 6 there will also be Victorian holiday traditions from 3PM-5PM), $7 PP, $5 per Naperville Heritage Society Member, tours on the hour
- December 6-7 Holiday Express, Blackberry Farm, Aurora, 2PM-6PM, holiday train decorated with twinkle lights, storytelling, reindeer food bar, Victorian Christmas lights, crafts, hayride to visit Santa, $5pp, under 2 free!
- December 6 Skate with Tommy Hawk, Nelson Sports Complex, Rolling Meadows, 2:00PM-3:30PM, $5/resident, $7/nonresident, $3 skate rentals
- December 6 Celebrate the Season Holiday Festival, Cantigny Park, Wheaton, 4PM,-7PM, family holiday festival, kids craft, tree lighting, holiday decor, live reindeer, Mistletoe Market (local crafters), live entertainment, visits from Santa and Mrs. Claus and more free with $2 parking, small fees for some activities, McCormick Museum open 5PM-8PM with some specially decorated trees (free admission) and more
- December 6 Christmas Light Tour by the Wheels Rallye Team in Schaumburg, registration starts at 6PM at Woodfield near Firestone (see website for deets), $10 per car & unwrapped new toy worth $15 or more for Toys For Tots or $25 cash, course will take you through some of the best home and municipal light displays in the suburbs, cars head out at 7PM *cars can be in sightseeing mode!*
Sunday, December 7
- December 7 Santa & Reindeer, Joe Caputo's, Town & Country Mall, Arlington Heights. 12PM-3PM, cookies, bring camera, free!
- December 7 Evanston History Center Open House, 1:00PM-3:30PM, holiday treats, crafts, music, view exhibits, free!
- December 7 The Velveteen Rabbit, Long Grove Historical Society, wonderful holiday play by Kirk Players, $10 pp, $5 per child, 12PM & 3PM, bring a food donation
- December 7 Skate with Skates from the Wolves, Nelson Sports Complex, Rolling Meadows, 3:00PM-4:00PM, $5/resident, $7/nonresident, $3 skate rentals
- December 7 Hands on Hanukkah, Barnes & Noble, Deer Park Center, 3:00PM-5:30PM, puppet show, dreidel origami, face painting, live music, free raffle, free!