Weekend fun events to keep you busy and smiling!
- January 28-February 12 Winterfest in Lake Geneva: Lake Geneva will be holding its Winterfest , The event's focus is the US Snow Sculpting Championship. Other events include the Human Dog Sled Race, chili cook off and more. The event starts on January 28 with The Abominable Snow Race on January 28. The race is a snow obstacle course. There is a smaller one for kids that costs $25 per participant. Spectator entry is free. Snow sculpting starts February 1 and snow blocks will be built Jan 30-31.
Wednesday, January 25:
Friday, January 27:
Saturday, January 28:
- January 28 Peter and the Wolf, Northbrook Theatre, 10AM or 1PM, musical puppet adaptation of the classic, $12 pp, order online
- January 28 Ice Cubed Fest, Downtown Wheaton, 10AM-5PM, ice carving, free
- January 28 Winter Scavenger Hunt, Trailside, River Forest, 1PM, afternoon hunt for signs of animal life and plant life, warm up at the campfire with snacks and hot beverage, $2 pp
- January 28 What's On The Menu? River Trail Nature Center, Northbrook, 3PM, join us at feeding time when we feed resident animals
- January 28-29 Husky Heroes, The Morton Arboretum will be hosting husky sled dogs that will demonstrate sled-pulling and skijoring. families will have the opportunity to check out equipment and meet sled dogs. Also, there will be opportunities to learn about adopting huskies. Free with regular Arboretum admission.
- January 28-29 Bald Eagle Watch Weekend at Starved Rock in Utica, the perfect time for an adventure to Starved Rock to look for bald eagles! There will be hikes, kids activities, talks and birds of prey shows. There are some advance ticket sales. Day off is free admission but first come first serve to shows without tickets.
- January 28 Ice Carving Competition, Rosemont, 2PM, ice carvers from Illinois, Wisconsin and Ohio
- Also, Illinois Snow Sculpting Comp. from above.
Sunday, January 29:
- January 29 Groundhog's Day, Crabtree Nature Center, 1PM, learn about this super-sleeper and make a craft, free
- January 29 Star Wars Rogue 1.5, Discovery Center Museum, Rockford, 1PM-4PM, $8 pp, find clues to lead you to the plans for the Death Star, find Princess Leia while evading Storm Troopers and more, with museum admission
- January 29 Groundhog Day Again, River Trail Nature Center, Northbrook, 1:30PM, enjoy facts and myths about groundhogs and their shadows
- Also, Husky Heroes and Bald Eagle Watch Weekend from above.