Everyone needs those places that seem far, far away from the real world. Rosy Mound Natural Area in Grand Haven, Michigan is one of those places. Rosy Mound has a fairly secluded, rustic beach ideal for a little tuning out.
The trip to the beach is quite an adventure. As the name suggests, there are mounds in the preserve. So, you will need to scale stairs to cross the mounds and locate the beach, While there are plenty of stairs, benches dot the path providing spots for breathers, The landscape is stunning, so enjoy the surroundings!
Once you have reached the top of the mound, be sure to take a moment and soak in a magical view of Lake Michigan!
Rosy Mound was the perfect little escape for us! Quite the picturesque environment for lunch! Plus, we were graced with the presence of quite a few monarch butterflies! A little slice of heaven! Worth the walk--plus the workout later in the day was negated!
Things to know:
- There are restrooms near the parking lot and more rustic ones near the beach.
- There is a fee for parking but the beach is free.
- There are no lifeguards on duty.
- Depending on the tide, you may have to ford a bit of water to get to the beach.
- Pack light!
- On our way back, we did feel the nibble of bugs so you may want to bring repellent.
- Rosy Mound is not far from downtown Grand Haven and is about 40 minutes from Grand Rapids.