Spring Valley Nature Center provides us with a natural respite tucked away in suburban Schaumburg. The variety of ecosystems present means that the preserve is quite dynamic and always changing. We love to visit throughout the year to observe these changes!
|Children's Learning Garden|
|Prairie plants including coneflowers and milkweed|
|There is a frog on one of these lily pads. Can you find him?|
|Barn at Volkening Heritage Farm|
|Melding of ecosystems--cattails and woods!|
Located right in the Chicago suburbs, Spring Valley Nature Center provides a much needed and convenient escape. Because of its proximity to shopping, we can squeeze in a visit during errands. The Nature Center will be adding a new play area in the coming months and will be fun for families to discover. A slice of natural heaven!
- There are restrooms at the Nature Center and on the farm.
- Spring Valley has a wealth of camps that help children stay connected with nature. My daughter has taken a few and learned a lot!
- In the winter, you can snowshoe when there is at least 4 inches of snow on the ground. Snowshoes are available.
- There is a gift shop in the Nature Center which has some useful books and even sells local honey and maple syrup from the preserve. There is also a gift shop on the farm.
- Bison's Bluff Nature Playground is slated to open the end of 2016.