You do not have to be a bona fide car lover to fall in love with LeMay America's Car Museum, our next destination on our tour of Tacoma. I am not normally the car attraction type, but I thoroughly enjoyed our visit and was surprised by how much we learned.One of LeMay's missions is to preserve American automotive history and the museum truly unfolds the history in an engaging yet not too cumbersome fashion. The museum presents history in galleries that flow together bringing the history of the automobile to you through the vehicles themselves.
|BMW Collection at LeMay|
|One of LeMay's extraordinary Coachbuilt cars!|
|Cool detail on coachbuilt car--a mirror on the wheel!|
|The 1923 Lincoln Touring Car at LeMay provided a vehicle for dignitaries!|
|A peek inside Lucky's Garage/|
|Take a drive down Route 66! Image courtesy of LeMay America's Car Museum.|
The NASCAR exhibit is another highlight. Who can resist getting a close up peek at the cars driven by our favorite race car drivers. Some of the cars even allow views of the engines!
Enjoy slot car racing or a spin in the simulator during your visit for a minimal additional fee. As part of your visit, enjoy movies in the State Farm Theatre. Additionally, the museum provides a complimentary picture taken in a 1923 Buick Touring Car.
|Race around the track!|
Family Zone Fun!
It is so hard to look and not touch! Good thing the Family Zone has hands-on experiences! The pinewood car races are particularly fun, You can even add design elements to your car to see how it will affect speed. Other portions of the exhibit allow families to sit in a Mustang and even peek inside a car to see how it works.
Things to know:
- Don't forget to take in the view of Tacoma from the terrace. Amazing!
- I did spot some made in the U.S.A. items at the gift shop including items made with actual license plates and safety belts. Definitely worth a look!
- The museum's Pacific Grill Cafe serves up burgers, sandwiches, salads and more!
- There is a section of the museum where you can see a mechanic working on a car. Pretty cool!
- This summer enjoy a Drive-In Movie Series where you can watch a movie from your car. You can set up a blanket and watch from the lawn as well. Movies are running July 16, August 6 and August 27.
- Take a Spin riding in vehicles from the collection July 21, August 4, August 23 and September 24.
We had such a wonderful time at LeMay America's Car Museum! The museum is quite inviting and the way automotive history is presented speaks to everyone. Overall, I feel that the museum was particularly engaging for children--more so than other car museums that I have been to. Opportunities to see inside of cars and the hands-on Family Zone really ignite interest in children. Truly a great adventure for families!
**Thank you to Travel Tacoma for hosting our visit! Complimentary admission was provided to bring you this review!